You may be interested in watching Channel 4 ‘Dispatches’ programme, ‘The Truth About Electric Cars’ at 8.30pm tonight (22nd November 2021).
Primarily this will be looking at the state of the U.K.’s electric vehicle infrastructure, plus some aspects of some of the vehicles… The information/views expressed below are from Channel 4.
They tells us:
- Some hybrids are worse than diesel cars on some harmful emissions.
- Charging network infrastructure challenged by increase in demand for electric vehicles (EVs).
- 1 in 10 Rapid Chargers were found to be out of service – with some chargers out of service for up to 6 years.
As more British drivers swap petrol pumps for an electric hook-up, Channel 4 Dispatches has new figures revealing the shocking state of Britain’s electric car charging network.
Working with EV-driver app, Zap-Map, Dispatches sampled one day in September and revealed:
- More than 1300 (5.2%) of chargers weren’t usable
- 840 Slow Chargers were out of service
- 370 (nearly 10%) of Rapid Chargers – those you often need on long journeys to continue your trip – were out of service
- 30+ Super new Ultra Rapid Chargers – or 3% – were faulty
Melanie Shufflebotham, Co-founder of ZapMap:
“I think it’s an issue that that needs to be improved. When I talk to the network operators, they are very aware of reliability and they know that is the number one thing that electric vehicle drivers want. They are focused on providing really good units, which are reliable and robust. But it needs to improve.”
Channel 4, ‘The Truth About Electric Cars’ is being screened at 8.30pm this evening, 22nd November 2021.