Robin Roberts advises that… More Ford Focus models were taken off the road than any other make/model last year…
- According to data from Scrap Car Comparison, the Ford Focus was the most scrapped car model in 2021, with 29,525 of the cars hitting the scrap heap
- The Vauxhall Astra was revealed as the second most scrapped model (22,143 cars), with the Vauxhall Corsa following in third (21,717 cars)
- Fordwas revealed as the most scrapped car manufacturer of 2021, with more than 76,418 vehicles scrapped over the last year
New data from scrap price comparison service Scrap Car Comparison reveals which car makes and models hit the scrap heap most often in 2021, according to internal data of the cars scrapped by the provider during last year.
Ford Focus is revealed as the UK’s most scrapped car model in 2021
Scrap Car Comparison’s data revealed that it was the Ford Focus that hit the scrap heap the most in 2021, with 29,525 of the cars taken off the roads. With the average age of scrapped vehicles sitting at around 14 years old, it’s easy to see why so many of these cars are now hitting the scrap heap – the Ford Focus topped the charts as the most sold car in 2001 and maintained this position through to 2007, so many are likely to be coming to the end of their driveability.
The Vauxhall Astra and Vauxhall Corsa followed as the second and third most scrapped car models last year, with 22,143 and 21,717 cars scrapped respectively. However, Ford models continue to feature heavily in the top 10 most scrapped cars, with the popular Ford Fiesta following in fourth (18,034 cars scrapped) and Ford Mondeo in tenth position (8,303).
Top 10 most scrapped car models in 2021
- Ford Focus – 29,525 cars scrapped
- Vauxhall Astra – 22,143 cars scrapped
- Vauxhall Corsa – 21,717 cars scrapped
- Ford Fiesta – 18,034 cars scrapped
- Volkswagen Golf – 13,468 cars scrapped
- Renault Clio – 13,280 cars scrapped
- Vauxhall Zafira – 10,703 cars scrapped
- Peugeot 206 – 10,519 cars scrapped
- Volkswagen Polo – 9,108 cars scrapped
- Ford Mondeo – 8,303 cars scrapped
Ford is also revealed as the most scrapped car make of 2021
With the Ford Focus revealed as the most scrapped car model of 2021, the trend continues as Ford is also revealed as the most scrapped car manufacturer overall last year. More than 76,418 Ford cars reached the end of their time on the roads last year, with 3,500 more of these cars hitting the scrap heap than models from Vauxhall, which follows as the second most scrapped make in 2021.
Top 10 most scrapped car makes in 2021
- Ford – 76,418 cars scrapped
- Vauxhall – 72,893 cars scrapped
- Volkswagen – 33,715 cars scrapped
- Peugeot – 32,981 cars scrapped
- Renault – 31,289 cars scrapped
- Citroen – 22,264 cars scrapped
- Nissan – 14,691 cars scrapped
- Toyota – 14,246 cars scrapped
- Honda – 13,045 cars scrapped
- Fiat – 13,019 cars scrapped
Dan Gick, Managing Director of Scrap Car Comparison commented:
“It’s always interesting to sift through the data and see which cars are the most frequently scrapped across the country. This is the fifth year running where we’ve seen the Ford Focus come out on top as the most scrapped car, and we expect to see it featuring highly in our most scrapped lists for many years to come yet. Popularity will always have a bearing on which cars are scrapped, and 2021’s results help to spotlight the enduring popularity of the Focus model, even if many do eventually meet the scrap heap.
No matter the age of your car, it’s always worth trying to get as much life out of a car as possible, but if you feel like your car is nearing the end of its life, it could be time to consider scrapping it.”
You can view the full findings of the study at: scrapped cars 2021