98% of UK drivers say they love their cars this valentine’s day.
– 4 out of 10 say it never lets them down
– 8 out of 10 say it gives them a sense of freedom
This Valentine’s Day, 98% of the UK’s drivers are spending it with something they love, even if this is a vehicle. Maybe this is because for eight out of ten drivers, cars give them a sense of freedom and for four out of ten, it never lets them down? Both things which cannot always be said of real-life relationships.
Over 800 UK drivers, surveyed by InsuretheGap, a provider of Guaranteed Asset Protection (GAP) insurance, enjoy just being on their own with their car where they can choose the music (33%) and sing at the top of their voice (24%).
For some it was love at first sight, as over a quarter (28%) bought the car as a present to themselves because they love driving. While others’ love is more practical with over half (56%) saying it is better than getting the bus and allows them more control over travel times (42%).
For almost a third (30%) of drivers, their car is also a major stress-reliever where they can escape the stresses of everyday life.
Describing their romantic liaison/ bond with their cars, friendship and family is a common theme for drivers, e.g.,
- “It’s part of me. It’s my friend”.
- “It’s an old trusted friend that tries hard not to let me down”.
- “It’s like an old friend that’s been with me for years – comfortable and reliable”.
- “It’s a part of my family ”.
- “I love my car because it is a reliable and trusted friend”.
And for some it is pure, unadulterated love that is hard to argue with, e.g.
- “It’s bright yellow and reminds me of the sunflower fields in Spain my boyfriend and I drove through when we had just met, so reminds me how much I love him”.
- “It’s beautiful, powerful and makes every journey an event”.
- “I love my car it is my space”.
“Romancing your Audi, Qashqai or BMW might not be high on most people’s lists on Valentine’s Day, but there’s is no doubt that we Brits love our cars. They’re a safe haven from everyday life and are much lower maintenance than most love affairs; and at least there will be no strops when you bring back tired roses or chocolates from the garage!” said Ben Wooltorton, Chief Operating Officer, InsuretheGap.com.
Notes and further information:
What is Guaranteed Asset Protection (GAP) Insurance for Vehicles?
If a vehicle is stolen, an insurance company will only pay what the vehicle is worth at the time. As vehicles lose between 15 – 35% of value in the first year, and 50 – 60% in the first three years, there is often a large ‘GAP’ between what was paid for the vehicle compared to what is perhaps still owed on finance, and what the vehicle is now worth.
InsuretheGap.com offer polices that protect car buyers from this ‘GAP’, at a fraction of the cost of the policies sold by car dealerships. Policies start from just £54.55 for vehicles worth up to £150,000. It covers ‘gaps’ up to £50,000.
Background on InsuretheGap.Com
InsuretheGap.com is an independent provider of GAP (Guaranteed Asset Protection) insurance. It was launched in 2016 by award-winning and FCA regulated, Halo Insurance Services Ltd, the team behind the leading provider of standalone car hire excess insurance, iCarhireinsurance.com.
Halo Insurance Services Limited was founded in 2009 by Ernesto Suarez, a leading insurance expert specialising in non-standard motor insurance. Its products include car hire insurance, van hire insurance, car club excess insurance and now Gap Insurance, all of which have been designed to offer more cover for a better price than the policies offered at the rental desk or by car dealerships.
Halo operates the retail brands iCarhireinsurance.com in the UK, leihwagenversicherung.de in Germany, Aseguramicochedealquiler.es in Spain, Huurautoverzekering.com in the Netherlands, Assurancelocationvoiture.fr in France, Insuremyrentalcar.com in the USA, rentalcarprotection.com.au in Australia and Insurethegap.com. Halo also provides insurance solutions to a number of commercial partners involved in the provision of software and booking services to car hire operators around the world.
- 2016 National Champion for the UK, The European Business Awards.
- FINALIST – 2016 Insurance Times Tech and Innovation Awards – Best Use of Technology to Improve Customer Experience
- FINALIST – 2016 Insurance Times Tech and Innovation Awards – Insurance App of the Year
- FINALIST – 2016 British Insurance Awards – Digital Innovation Award
- FINALIST – 2014 British Insurance Awards – Personal Lines Broker of the Year Award
- WINNER – 2013 British Insurance Awards – Insurance Start-Up Award
- FINALIST – 2012 British Insurance Awards – The E-Business Award
- WINNER – 2011 Insurance Times Awards – Broker Innovation of the Year
Halo Insurance Services Limited is registered in England number 6929208. Authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority Register No. 504629 for the sale and administration of general insurance products in the United Kingdom and throughout the European Economic Area (EEA).